Last Update

SEARCH FOR A MANUAL

Sunday 28 November 2010

Missing premiums for Phoenix insurance policy threatened income

Problems with direct debit for a Phoenix insurance policy left a daughter unsure over reductions in her mother's income

As part of my parents' divorce settlement in 1994, my father bought an insurance policy with Phoenix to compensate my mother for lost maintenance payments if he died before her. He now has Alzheimer's.

When I tackled his finances, I was surprised to see the direct debit payments to Phoenix had stopped from April 2009. Trying to find the reason has been hard. Phoenix can deal only with my mother as she is named on the policy but his bank can deal only with me. The bank says the direct debit is open but Phoenix says the May 2009 payment was refused.

Before it closed the policy, Phoenix wrote to my father's old address and to my mother's solicitor who had also moved. I accept it couldn't reach us but still a mistake has been made and my mother's income will be reduced. PT, Lancaster

Phoenix destroys direct debit records three months after they have ended. This is a common practice but means it cannot discover why it stopped collecting your father's premiums. As a goodwill gesture, it has agreed to reinstate the policy. You will need to pay the missing premiums, £1,630 in total, but your mother's income is saved.

You can email Margaret Dibben at your.problems@observer.co.uk or write to Margaret Dibben, Your Problems, The Observer, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London N1 9GU and include a telephone number. Do not enclose SAEs or original documents. Do not enclose SAEs or original documents. The newspaper accepts no legal responsibility for advice.


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2010 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

SERVICE MANUALS Auto Insurance F800ST Yamaha Motorcycle Manuals Kawasaki Motorcycle Manuals Playstation 3 News Universal Nissan Honda Motorcycle News Triumph Motorcycle News UFO Sightings BMW Service Manuals Ford News Ducati News Fatal Accident Claim
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment